12th International Conference on Extending Database Technology / 12th International Conference on Database Theory

March 23-26, 2009
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

 
 

Social Program of the EDBT/ICDT 2009 joint conference

You are welcome to book the tour in advance trough Online Registration system!
The deadline for tour booking and payment is March 16, 2009.

Date and Time

Excursion

Price in RUR per person

March 22,

Sunday

14:00-18:00

City Tour with visiting Peter-and-Paul Fortress

included in Registration fee

March 23,

Monday

10:00-14:00

Cathedrals of Saint Petersburg

2500

March 24,

Tuesday

 10:00-14:00

State Hermitage (walking tour)

1000

March 25,

Wednesday

 10:00-14:00

Palaces of Saint Petersburg

2400

   The price includes:

   -  Transport (except the excursion to the Hermitage)

   -  English-speaking guide

   -  Entrance fee to the museums

 

All tours will take place only in case of not less than 5 participants.

All excursions start from the conference venue (Universitetskaya emb., 7/9)
The City tour starts from the conference workshops venue (14 line, 29)


City Tour

There is no other way to get an impression about the City of St.Petersburg, than to take a short ride on a bus with an expert guide. The tour includes picturesque sightseeing peculiarities that are most favored by tourists from the world over.
Naturally, it's Nevsky Avenue, the main city's thoroughfare, with luxurious shopping centers, restaurants, churches and cathedrals, banks and offices.
You'll invariably see and admire the Palace Square, make a stop by the beautifully decorated Church of Resurrection (known also as Saviour-on the Blood Church), Saint Isaac’s Cathedral and Peter and Paul fortress with Cathedral where all Russian emperors were buried.
You will also be able to pass by the Hermitage, the world known museum, the Admiralty and the Bronze Horseman - the monument to the founder of the City - Peter I.
And, of course, you will stop on the Spit of Basil’s Island – this spot gives an amazing panoramic view of the granite embankments of the Niva river.
You will learn a lot about the history and modern life of the city. The tour is quite cognitive and very spectacular.

Peter and Paul Fortress

The St. Peter and Paul Fortress was founded on 27 May 1703 to defend St.Petersburg against enemy raids. From the middle of the 18th century it contained Russian political prison. In addition to viewing the ancient fortifications on the grounds of the fortress, one can visit Peter and Paul cathedral, designed by D.Trezzini, which is the city’s tallest building (the height of the spire is 121.8 meter); the house of the "grandfather of the Russian navy", where exact copy of Peter I’s little boat is kept and the Mint.


Cathedrals of Saint Petersburg

Built from 1818-1858, St. Isaac’ Cathedral is the largest Orthodox church is St. Petersburg. The gilded cupola of the Cathedral, which dominates the skyline of the city, stands 101.5 meters in the air making it the fifth highest cathedral in Europe. The collonade offers visitors the option of climbing the 300 stairs to the observation deck to see the breathtaking view of the city. The facades of the building are decorated with 112 monolithic columns made from Karelian granite. The outside of the building is covered in beautiful sculptures inculding 24 monumental bronze angels.
Today, in addition to being open to the public as a museum, the cathedral continues to offer festive services.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection, which is also known as the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, was erected in memory of Tsar Alexander II. On March 1, 1881, the Tsar was assasinated by a terrorist (I. Grinevitskij) on the exact spot of the church’s current location.
The church was designed by Alfred Parland and was built from 1883-1907 with money donated by the royal family as well as private donors. Both the inside and outside of the building are decorated with ornate mosaics designed by a group of prominent Russian artists.
During the 1930s the church was closed due to the destruction taking place nationwide as the Bolsheviks stormed and ruined many churches. The Cathedral of the Resurrection was reopened in August of 1997 after almost 3 decades of careful restoration. Today the Cathedral is fully restored and remains open to visitors.

The Smolny Cathedral

The ensemble of Smolny Cathedral produces an unforgettable impression even though it had not been completed fully, and the grandiose 140 m belfry (18 m higher than that of Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral) had never been built.

The cathedral possesses a strange and mystical ability to decrease in size as you draw nearer, while still remaining as majestic.

Even those professional architects who did not feel any piety towards the baroque style gave Rastrelli credit for this work with its perfect proportions and exquisite decor.

Some said that when architect Giacomo Quarenghi who favored a very different approach to architecture and who had shown resolute and frank hostility towards Rastrelli, would stop in front of the main entrance to Smolny Cathedral, turn to face the building, take off his hat and exclaim: “Ecco una chiesa!” (“That’s one church!”).


The State Hermitage

 
Located in the heart of Saint Petersburg the Hermitage occupies five historic buildings, which are the architecture monuments, including the Winter Palace, former residence of the Russian Tsars.
The State Hermitage is one of the oldest and largest museums in the world. State Hermitage (Saint Petersburg) is famous for its numerous collections, which encompass world culture from prehistoric times to the present day.
In 240 years of its existence the museum accumulated a collection of almost three million exhibits, including significant art collections of Ancient East, Ancient Greece and Rome, Islamic arts, Italian Renaissance, XIX—XX centuries paintings, etc.
The Hermitage is also home for the art pieces from the Saint Petersburg imperial palaces, collections of Russian Emperors dating to XVIII—XIX centuries, as well as numerous art pieces created on the orders of the Tsars by famous artists of Europe.
The Italian collection of the Hermitage includes masterpieces by Giorgione, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael and Titian.
A vast collection of French art includes pieces by such artists as Monet, Renoir, Degas, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso and Matisse.
The Hermitage Arsenal collection represents many precious items of Russian, Western European and Oriental arms and armour from the early Middle Ages to the beginning of the 20th century. The Oriental Art collection includes over 180,000 paintings, sculptures and items of applied art, covering the territories of Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Central Asia, Byzantium.


Palaces of Saint Petersburg

Stroganoff Palace - the oldest of palaces under the Russian Museum supervision. For almost 2 centuries, it was the property of Barons and Counts Stroganoff. Its building was begun in 1738 and headed by M. Zemtsov. Howerever, F. Rastrelli is considered as its real author who completed the outward appearance of the palace. The interiors were worked out by the remarkable Russian architects F. Demertsov, A. Voronikhin, G. Bosse, et al. A permanent exhibition "The Treasure of the House of Stroganoffs" is opened in the restored first-floor suite of rooms.
Yusupovskiy Palace - a unique architectural ensemble of the XVIII-XIX centuries, historical and cultural monument (architect J.-B. Vallen-Delamot). During 1830-1917, it was owned by 5 generations of a noble family of princes Yusupovs. The palace has retained official apartments, the halls of art gallery, a private theatre, and luxurious living apartments of the Yusupovs family, now open to the public. The palace got into national history as a place where Grigoriy Rasputin was assasinated. The tragedy happened in private apartments of young Prince Felix Yusupov on the night of December 17, 1916. Now these rooms are arranged as a historical and documental exhibition.
Since 1925, Yusupovskiy Palace hosted the Palace for Culture of Educators, which in 1990s was reformed into a historical and cultural center comprising in its activity the museum, theatrical, concert, and scientific and educational functions.


Tsarskoye Selo and Pavlovsk

Tsarskoe Selo (Royal Village), located 25 km south of St. Petersburg, first appeared in the 18C as the summer residence of the Russian tsars. In 1918 the town was renamed into Detskoe Selo (Children’s Village). In 1937 the name was changed into Pushkin, to commemorate the centenary of the great Russian poet’s tragic death.
Created for two centuries by many prominent architects, the unique architectural ensemble of Pushkin is world famed for its elegant palaces and pavilions, landscape parks and ponds, 18-century marble statues and historic obelisks.
This "town of Muses" inspired many celebrated Russian poets, painters and musicians to create their renowned masterpieces in music and art.
In 1752-1756 a remarkable Bolshoy Catherine Palace - the striking example of baroque architecture - was built by architect Rastrelli, and numerous entertainment pavilions were erected in the park, including «Hall on the Island», Sliding Hill, Hermitage and Grotto.
The splendor of new architectural ensemble immediately caused everybody’s admiration and delight. Tsarskoe Selo became the place for official receptions of Russian nobility and representatives of foreign states, who were visiting Russia with diplomatic missions.
During the reign of Catherine the Great further significant alterations were made to the palace and park. The Catherine Park was extended with the layout of the garden landscaped in the English style. In the palace itself part of baroque interiors with abundance of gilded moldings and sculptures were completely altered by the Scottish architect Charles Cameron in the spirit of increasingly fashionable Classical style.
A series of monuments glorifying Russian triumphal victories in the Russo-Turkish and other wars were put up in the newly designed part of the park. Among them are Columns of Chesma and Morea, Kagul Obelisk, all designed by architect Rinaldi, and monumental Tower Ruin designed by architect Velten.

Pavlovsk is the superb palace-and-park ensemble of the late 18 – early 19 centuries which was used as a summer residence of the Russian emperor Paul I and his family. The landscape park, one of the largest in Europe? Covers the area of 600 ha. The works on the palace-and-park ensemble lasted for 50 years. Ch. Cameron, V. Brenna, G. Guarenghi, A. Voronikhin, C. Rossi and other great architects had worked there.
The main collection of the Pavlovsky Palace  were formed due to the trip of its owners over Europe in 1781-1782. They visited workshops of well known artists, ordering and purchasing, paintings, furniture, bronze articles, silk fabrics, china sets, a lot of antic sculptures from Italy, etc. They also brought to Russia gifts from European royal courts.
The museum displays excellent portraits by Russian artists and a number of landscape paintings and drawings on Pavlovsk. Private rooms of Empress Maria Fedorovna, decorated in the beginning of the 19 century, are opened to the public.