Saint-Petersburg founded by Peter Great in 1703, can rightly be called one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, united in its appearance European and Russian, architectural tradition. The city is often called the "Venice of the Notrh" because it is built on 44 islands, separated by 86 rivers and canals.Saint Petersburg is famous for its "white nights" when the end of May to mid-July instead of darkness envelops the city soft twilight, creating a unique romantic atmosphere, which is complemented by the classic St. Petersburg overlooking divorced bridges. St. Petersburg is not less beautiful, and in the winter, with encased in ice Neva and brilliant snow on the domes of St.Petersburg's cathedral. For over 200 years, St.Peterburg was capital of the Russian Empire and the residence of 13 Russian emperors of the Romanov dynasty, who are buried in the Peter and Paul Fortress. During the construction of the city of Peter I set a goal to "open a window to Europe", to make the country a great European power, both politically and in the cultural aspect. Embodying the idea of Peter, during the XVIII and XIX centuries known European architects (mostly from Italy and France) created on the banks of the Neva "open air museum" of magnificent palaces, cathedrals and park ensembles.Today, more than 100 historical palaces and more than 80 museums open to the public. The most famous, of course, the Hermitage, which houses one of the largest art collections in the world. Saint-Petersburg - the most northerly of the largest cities in the world and the second largest metropolitan area in Russia with a population of almost 5 million people.St. Petersburg is becoming increasingly popular destination among foreign and Russian tourists. A romantic walk along the picturesque canals or night Neva, St.Petersburg landscapes parks, evening performance at the Mariinsky Theatre and the ceremonial halls of the Hermitage - this is what love Petersburg all those who return to this city again and again. UN rated St. Petersburg is among the ten most attractive tourist destinations in the world.The city is visited annually by about 1.5 million foreign and 2 million Russian tourists.
The flag of Saint Petersburg is a red field charged in the center with the arms of the city, which consists of two silver anchors (a sea anchor, and a river anchor), and a gold scepter. The anchors both cross each other at their centers, with the sea anchor to the left and the river anchor on the right. They reflect the fact that the city has both river and sea ports. The scepter is surmounted on the anchors in the center. It shows that the city was the former capital of Russia. The flag was adopted on September 6, 1991. 3. IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS
Telephone code of the city: +7 (812)
Emergencies: Emergency Control Ministry - 01, Police - 02, Ambulance - 03, for mobile phones - 112
Tourist helpline, city information center: +7 (812) 30 30 555
2. PUBLIC TRANSPORT
- Metro (58 stations). Working hours from 5:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Price fare - 45 rubles. Metro map can be viewed here Ground public transport operates from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. - Buses, trams and trolleybuses. Price for the ticket for 1 person - 30-45 rubles. - Commuter trains. Electronic ticket (green card, which are sold at each metro station) Podorozhnik allows making trips by ground and underground public transport with substanial discounts the more you travel. 3. TAXI SERVICES We strongly recommend You do not use private driver's cars.
4. HOW TO GET FROM AIRPORT TO THE CITY
All airlines and flights are operating from new airoport terminal (Pulkovo).
Airoport is located 15 km from the city. Closest metro station is Moskovskaya ("Ìîñêîâñêàÿ"), blue line.
You can get from airport to this metro station:
- by city bus ¹ 39 The bus stops in front of arrival area of airoport. It runs between airport and metro station "Moskovskaya" every 12-20 min. from 5:30 a.m untill 01:30 a.m. It takes around 35-45 min.
- by commercial bus ¹Ê39 The bus stops in front of arrival area of airoport. It runs between airport and metro station "Moskovskaya" every 5 min. from 7 a.m untill 11 p.m. It takes around 35-45 min.
5. TOP "MUST SEE" IN SAINT-PETERSBURG
1. City mall "Galereya" ("Ãàëåðåÿ")
2. House of books (Singer House), Kazan Cathedral
3. Peter and Paul Fortress
4. Anichkov bridge
5. Ekaterina square
7. Square of Art ("Ploschad Iskusstv"), Russian Museum
8. Tauride Garden ("Tavricheskiy Sad")
9. Aleksandrovskiy sad, The Bronze Horsmen, Admiralty building
10. Memorial flat of Aleksander Pushkin
11. St. Michael's Castle
12. Church of the Savior on Blood
6. INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SAINT-PETERSBURG
- was the capital of Russia from 1712 to 1918 - had three different names in its history: Petrograd, Leningrad, St.Petersburg - has one of the deepest metro in the world (for example, Admiralteiskaya metro station is 120 meters deep) - has more bridges than any other city in the Europe (about 800 bridges) - has more than 200 museums - is part of the UNESCO's World Heritage List - youngest city in the Europe - in top 10 most attractive destinations in Europe and in top 15 most attractive destinations in the world accoring to the website TripAdvisor